Friday 16 March 2012

Flash Strategy Games



You Should Try FLASH!
If you've never heard of one before, here's a brief description of what a Flash game is. Flash games are played on your browser, they are easily accessible and most of them are quick to play. The most popular Flash games are usually Strategy based or Stunt Bicycle related. There are many websites that feature Flash games such as Kongregate and Armor Games. Most flash games are single-player, but there are some games featured on large Flash gaming websites that have multi-player options.

You probably remember those kid games you've played when you were little. Maybe Spongebob Pizza Toss, or Bloons Tower Defense. Well, if you've played Bloons before, then you would know one type of strategy game in the Flash genre. Tower-Defense games are quite popular, but there are so many, that only a few stand out, such as "Bloons" and "Cursed Treasure: Don't Touch My Gems!". Another popular Flash Strategy game genre are the Turn-Based games. In turn-based strategy games, you usually get to choose a side you wish to fight for, and play against computer automated enemies in territorial conquest by sending troops to invade . Some notable ones include "The Great War of Prefectures" which is a game based in Japan, and "Hex Empires". You can also find Command-and-Conquer games on Flash websites, but those are usually poor in gameplay, and in graphics, So I usually stay away from those.

Personally, I really love these Flash games, since the genre I mainly play is Castle-Building Real-Time-Strategy, there is a wait time for buildings to complete and I spend that spare time on Kongregate or Armor games, playing Turn-Based Strategy. So if you've never played these kinds of game, go and try one out. But don't select the hardest difficulty, or expect defeat.

Honorable Mentions

  • Kings of Conquest (Turn-Based)
This game has been updated quite a bit since it came out, there are more updated version to be found online, so you should play the newest ones for a better gaming experience and much fewer bugs. In this game, you have setting for when you generate your map, which is playing field. You can customize or create your own maps if you want. In the maps, you pick your territories, which may contain resources needed to create units at the end of your turn.
I am addicted to this game, I've played this quite a bit and am glad I found this. However, the creator has stopped updating this game for a while, so I don't think this game will generate any more popularity at this point.

  • The Great War of Prefectures (Turn-based)
In this game, you chose a province/prefecture of Japan at the start of the game. Each region has a natural advantage, whether it be more income or better defensive bonuses to you. The goal of this game is to conquer all the prefectures of Japan by making units with the money you get after each turn. The visuals in this game are cutesy and made for kids, but are still enjoyable to look at.
If you play this game, and find it boring when you can easily take over territories, DON'T QUIT YET! There is a surprise for you after you have monopolized Japan.

  • Bloons Tower Defense (Tower Defense Game)
I'm sure you guys have played this game before, it is the most famous Tower-Defense game that I've heard of in North America, and I'm sure in other continents and countries as well. The goal of this game is to buy monkeys or defensive units and strategically place them where their assets work best to pop the balloons that spawn, before they reach the end of the map. You can upgrade your turrets, and some upgrade require you to have a certain rank. Gaining a rank is quite simple, you pop enough balloons and you reach the next rank. Ranks are saved throughout all your games in Bloons Tower Defense , so if you choose a different difficulty or map, you will still have the ranks you earned in previous games.
This game actually requires quite a bit of skill and strategy if you choose the intermediate levels, it surprised me how much I had to think when I played on Hard mode. I lost many games so I inevitably went back to easier maps. So I suggest you try out easy or medium difficulty maps before attempting Intermediate levels. I also suggest that you play a few games to get your rank up so that you have more upgrades for your monkeys and cannons (those are basically all you will be using). 
Respect the Monkey with the cannon

If you want to play any of the games mentioned above, please check out the links on the bottom. I hope that you have learned more about Flash games by reading this, or have found that one of the games I spoke of is to your liking. So please check out the games and have fun playing them.


Games

1. Bloons Tower Defense

2. Kings of Conquest 
VI (Beta)
V

3. The Great War of Prefectures

4. Cursed Treasure: Don't Touch My Gems!

5. Hex Empire

6. Age of War

Flash Game Websites






By-the-way, I only listed a few, but there are a ton of others, these are just the sites that I normally use. Addictinggames and mofunzone are quite old, and only place it there because I have lots of fun memories of when I used those sites. The order of the list and the numbers beside it don't mean anything, just that I thought of that site first, so I'm not saying that mofunzone is better than playedonline, that is for you to decide.



The Rooster

No comments:

Post a Comment